Translate

Thursday 9 October 2014

Consommé: Things 6 & 7

Ka tangi te Tītī, ka tangi te Kākā ka tangi hoki ahau

The Mutton bird is calling, the Parrot is calling, and I wish to speak


Kia ora koutou katoa,

I chose the whakatauki for this post as I thought it appropriate at a number of levels. 
Twitter is "Thing 6" and I am sure you can see the the connection between twitter, tweeting and birds. I have had a twitter account now since September 2009, and  have probably used it more in the last month than for the rest of that year. A friend tried to tell me what hash tags were apologies to her as I never really got it. Then suddenly the lights went on when I started tweeting for this course and I now think of hash tags as an organisation tool, allowing me to easily find all the tweets about one topic that I am interested in like  #crazycats, #23research.

"Thing 7" is about your personal brand, and the link between the whakatauki and this "Thing" is a little less obvious. I think an important part of branding is communication, communication of who you are, what you do and what your interests (research or otherwise) are. The last part of the whakatauki is about a desire to speak (Communication). 

As part of "Thing 6" I tweeted about the Prezi presentation "You already have a brand" from the "Thing 7" module; what especially caught my attention in the presentation was the idea that we all have on an online presence regardless of how active/inactive we are.
Bearing this in mind with the communication aspect of our whakatauki I would rather be an active participant in how the virtual world sees me than inactive and allowing others and fate to dictate how I am perceived online.  I want any virtual representation of me to be as close to the "real" me as possible. It is impossible to control how people will perceive you virtual or otherwise, what you can control is the content that you put out into cyberspace, make sure that it all represents who you are and what you are about both professionally and personally.

I had already Googled myself  before however  now I look at the same results through a different lens and luckily I can say that I am pleased with the results when I see them as they are about my research for my MIS (Libs), conference presentations I have given, mentions of me in professional associations and to other social media sites I have profiles with. 

I didn't design the combined personal/professional profile that I have however I don't see a need to separate them as I know that they are different facets of the same person (also thankfully I have always followed the advice that you should NEVER say/write/post anything that you wouldn't want your grandmother to see or hear.

3 comments:

  1. "Never say/write/post anything that you wouldn't want your grandmother to see or hear." Sage advice indeed, thanks Troy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Steve, Its true though and the use without filters of social media spaces by generations after mine could be one of the reasons for resistance by many in academia to the use of social media in our institutions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Troy
    I'm going to use your advice and never post anything that my grandmother would never want to hear ... which now going to be so hard hahaha.

    ReplyDelete